HOW CAN I HELP?
All Hands On Deck! We need your help to spread the word about the ship and to raise crucial funds to allow us to keep her safe until we can solidify a redevelopment deal and complete the groundwork for the SS United States Center for Design and Discovery.
Many people don’t realize that the SS United States still exists or why she’s so important. They don’t know where she’s docked or that she is need of help. We need to mobilize communities everywhere so people throughout the nation know that “America’s Flagship” is in danger of being lost forever! Here are some ideas for how you can help:
1. Become a member of the Conservancy. Join our efforts by investing in our mission to save the SS United States and preserve her legacy for generations to come.
2. Save an inch of the ship at SaveTheUnitedStates.org. Over 50,000 inches have already been saved, but we need to double that number in order to reach our goal of saving the SS United States! Each inch costs only $1 to save, so please join our innovative crowd funding effort today and become a permanent part of the ship’s legacy.
3. Matching Gifts. See if your employer has a matching gifts program. Some companies will match up to 100% of your contribution. This is a great way for you or your loved ones to double or even triple the impact of an already very meaningful gift.
4. Give the gift of history. Purchase a Conservancy membership or a section of the digital ship at SaveTheUnitedStates.org for a loved one, or ask friends to donate to you in lieu of birthday and holiday gifts. You will be able to download our official Commemorative Certificate to celebrate your gift.
5. Become a Corporate Sponsor or Partner:
- Join our Corporate Sponsorship program and receive valuable benefits including naming rights, advertising, exclusive ship tours, and networking events with some of our prominent board and advisory council members.
- Donate a portion of your product or service to the Conservancy. Partners are featured on our website in return for a donation per item sold.
- Feature the Conservancy logo and link on your website or in your company newsletter, or include our brochure in your shipments.
- Make an in-kind donation to the Conservancy of a product or service that we can use as a raffle or silent auction item at an upcoming fund raiser. All in-kind donations are tax-deductible as we are a 501c3 organization.
SPREAD THE WORD
6. Spread the word among your circle of friends, family and colleagues. By sending a letter or an email, you can let people know that for as little as $1 they can make a difference. Let them know that this is important to you, and they’ll be more likely to help!
- Encourage them to become a member of the Conservancy at SSUSC.org.
- Save an inch of the ship (or more!) at SaveTheUnitedStates.org for as little as $1 and become a part of her permanent legacy.
7. ‘Like’ us on Facebook and ‘Follow’ us on Twitter. We have almost 10,500 Facebook ‘likes’ already. Let’s get up to 15,000! ‘Share’ and recommend our posts with your online community and persuade your friends to ‘Like’ our page. Twitter is a fast and easy way to help spread the word. ‘Retweet’ our posts and ‘Follow’ us today.
8. Distribute brochures at locations throughout your community. Email us to request brochures to distribute to spread the word. Possible locations include libraries, museums, local societies, coffee shops, yacht clubs, and festivals.
9. Organize a video screening of the fantastic films Lady in Waiting or Made In America at a local library, club, church, senior center, school or any venue. We will help you receive permission to show the video and promote the event. If possible, we will arrange for a Conservancy representative to attend.
10. Make a presentation in your community. Email us to request a user-friendly presentation that you can use to share your passion about the ship and demonstrate your knowledge about why the Big U must be saved. Reach out to your social club, library, church, Rotary Club, Chamber of Commerce, local museum, historic society or maritime club to see if they would host a presentation. Let us know the date and location of your presentation and we will promote it on our website, and if possible, we will arrange for a Conservancy representative to attend.
11. Represent the Conservancy at a festival or conference. Most festivals and conferences will consider donating a table in support of non-profit efforts. Reach out on our behalf to secure space and attend the event to distribute brochures, talk about the ship, and recruit new members.
12. Reach out to your local media. Many regional and community newspapers, both print and online, are interested in the ship and our efforts to save her. Add an element of local interest by sharing your connection to the ship and interest in saving her.
14. Reach out to celebrities and other high visibility people. Write a letter, make a phone call, tweet, or reach out through other social media and tell them about our crowd funding campaign SaveTheUnitedStates.org and our new documentary, SS United States: Made in America.
15. New York and Pennsylvania Residents: Reach out to your Elected Officials!
16. Network with local museums and maritime organizations on our behalf. Ask them if they would consider hosting a temporary exhibition and/or a presentation about the ship. Ask them to display brochures and potentially run a free ad in their publication.
17. Get kids involved. Reach out to your children’s or grandchildren’s schools, Scouts troops or after-school activity groups.
- Make a presentation to a class, all-school assembly or scout troop meeting. Email us to request a user-friendly presentation! Our Shipsters handout is another excellent resource.
- Encourage kids to do a lemonade stand or donut sale, or collect spare change to save their very own section of the ship at SaveTheUnitedStates.org.
- Construct the ship out of Lego or other building materials and send us a photograph! We will share some of the most creative projects on our website and newsletter!
These are just a few ideas. Think about your community, connections and interests to determine how best you can help!
Use our downloads (FAQs, Corporate Sponsor Brochure, Shipsters Coloring Page) to help spread the word. Let us know what you are doing and so that we can promote your efforts through our website, e-newsletter and social media platforms.
If you can set up a presentation or establish a media connection, Conservancy staff and representatives will work with you directly. We are extremely grateful for anything you can do to help us Save Our Ship!